A suitable list of alternative resolutions written for a body in motion, a body flawed, a body cracked in places, a body that soars on the page but sometimes hesitates in the mirror, for the body with a heart that is sometimes tentative, and for the body that houses a passion too big to be contained.
- I vow to go on a diet. It’s time to shed my excess pounds of baggage and doubt.
- Everyday I will to look into the mirror—emotionally naked—and rejoice in all I see, even those Herman Munster feet of mine I’ll need to stand firmly upon when I am in front the mirror with only my birthday suit.
- I will exercise my heart by gifting the love that flows freely within without consideration or concern what is given may never come back in equal measures.
- I won’t count the number of pounds I gain and lose over the year, instead I will keep a tally of the number of words I write then rewrite.
- There will be at least one adventure a month and a breathless moment of bravado each week as I confront an unknown fear with reckless abandonment.
- I will keep a daily journal of random thoughts, wild notions, opening lines, unlikely endings, secret wishes, and dear diary ramblings.
- I will walk with my eyes upward, my stride even, my mind clear of lists and to-dos. I will smile, wink, and even flutter the lashes, for no reason other than to exchange smiles.
- I will make peace with a memory and bury the heartache that sometimes rears its ugly face at 3:00 AM.
- I won’t hesitate at hello and reconsider goodbye.
- In the heat of anger, I’ll try to remember the numbers after zero and before eleven.
- I promise to begin more than end, and to continue moving through life with hope of discovery regardless of the outcome even if the end is a foregone conclusion.
- I will whisper to the wind and wait for her response even it takes the length of a moment.
- I promise not to admonish myself for not reaching the bottom of a list or reading a book from page one to The End.
- I will not to guilt myself into undertaking a task just because it’s popular or deemed necessary.
- I will reward myself for investing in passions that slide like silk over my naked soul.
- The writer in me will believe the words I write without doubt.
- The woman in me will embrace the words I write—even the ones written with stark honesty—with humility and courage.
- The past I’ve sometimes regretted will unfold before me with new meaning.
- I will cherish my failures, but only after a glass of wine, a sad song, or three, a sniffle or pool of tears. I promise to rise like a Phoenix the morning after with renewed commitment.
- I may doubt magic, but I won’t forsake hope.
- I promise to remain true to myself, and the words that come from the right side of my heart, even if it sometimes stretches me beyond my comfort zone.
- I will continue to believe in the mystery of life.
- I will continue to believe in Some Enchanted Evening connections and not don a bitter smile if love sometimes confuses.
- Above all, I will not forsake honesty, regardless of the cost.
I am not one to write down resolutions annually because life is fluid. What feels right in a moment will not be so in the next. The listing of ideals is futile so why set myself up with failure? The only list worth writing is one written upon the body as it rises each day.
If you were to add to my list of resolutions, what would it be?